Monday, November 24, 2014

A Year Ago ...

on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I got my sister's phone call from Illinois that my dad had suffered a stroke. I was able to spend a week with him before he made his transition on December 15.

I am thankful for the many gatherings we all had last year. It was the first time since I got married in 2002 that I had Thanksgiving dinner with members of my Illinois family. I met the newest baby in our family and saw many of my nephews and nieces and their spouses and children. I was at the hospital every day with my mom and dad. He was able to speak some and we had some special moments during that week.

In the last year I have been back to Illinois to visit four times including just 10 days ago. I stay at my mom's town house where she and my dad lived together for 19 years. I feel joy to be with my mom and sadness that my dad is not there too.

I've been crabby and irritable lately; then I realized that what I really have been feeling is grief. My intention is to be aware of those feelings and still feel joy for this holiday, my favorite.

My stepson, daughter-in-law and three grandchildren are coming for dinner on Thanksgiving Day. My husband is cooking (yea! leftovers!); I'm assisting and cleaning up.
They're bringing dessert. I'm looking forward to the seven of us having a special day together.

And I'll call my mom sometime that day to tell her I'm thinking about her and I love her.

May each and every one of you have a joyful Thanksgiving.

~ JEAN

No comments:

Post a Comment