Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Insight Timer


A year or so ago, I discovered a free app called Insight Timer to help me with my meditation practice, and I wanted to share some information about that app here for anyone who might be interested.   Insight Timer is available for both Android and I-Phone smart phones.  It can be downloaded through Google Play (for Android) or I-Tunes (for I-Phone).  My favorite feature of this app is the meditation timer, which allows me to specify the length of my daily meditation in minutes and provides interval bell sounds of my choice to keep me on track for the duration of each session.  I also recently started using the guided meditation feature which consists of a library of over 1,800 guided meditations on topics like gratitude, forgiveness, letting go, self-compassion, and stress relief.  

Insight Timer connects users with a worldwide community of meditators.  It offers a number of different discussion groups, provides a message forum for sharing with like-minded individuals, and displays a map showing all of the people (symbolized by dots) using the app all over the world at any given time.   There is a journal feature for recording thoughts and insights gained during and after meditation.  There is also a feature which keeps detailed stats and milestones for tracking growth and progress of one's meditation practice..

The overarching goal of the folks at Insight Timer is to help the world reach 10,000 years’ worth of collective meditation - with the idea that meditation can be instrumental in promoting world peace.  The app is offered for free.  If you would like help with downloading this app onto your smart phone, contact me at the Unity office and I will be happy to assist you.

~REBECCA

No comments:

Post a Comment