Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Don't Feel Like It


I think I’ve alluded in previous posts to the fact that my favorite form of exercise is running.  There is no other fitness practice that gives me the same sense of accomplishment and feeling of vitality and strength.  Now I’m not a marathon runner by any means.  My typical routine involves running about two miles on four or five mornings a week.  Some days I walk instead.  On off-days I might do yoga to get in a good stretch for my muscles.  But those four or five days of running are the core of my fitness practice. They help me stay energetic and strong, they boost my cardiovascular health and help to detoxify my body.  Plus, they give me twenty minutes of fresh air and blissful solitude – precious food for the introvert getting ready to face her day.  

Don't Feel Like It . . .
Now judging by what I’ve just said, you might think that I leap out of bed at 6 a.m. each day, awake and refreshed, with a burning desire to throw on my running shoes and hit the pavement.  Not true.  Even though I’m clear that health and fitness are part of my personal vision and mission, there are some days (many days) when I just don’t feel like it.  These are the days when my alarm goes off and I’m not quite ready to wake up yet.  Or the days when my mind is so full of “to do’s” for the day ahead that I’m tempted to skip exercise and plow full-steam into my day.  So what do I do on the days when I’m having trouble being enthusiastic?  What do I do on the days when I just don’t feel like it – even though I know it’s mine to do?


Well, first I get out of bed.  Then I put my contacts in.  Then I put my running clothes on.  Then I tie my shoes.  Then I step outside.  Then I start running. 


Any time we’re faced with a task that seems daunting or that has us wanting to make excuses as to why we can’t (or shouldn’t have to) do it, we can choose to override our internal dialogue and just take the first step.  And then the next step.  And the next.  


Now don’t get me wrong, there are days when I give into inertia and choose to stay in bed.  But those days are few and far between because I’m clear about my purpose, and I’ve learned over the years that the if I can get past "don't feel like it" and just take the first step, I can accomplish my goal.  


This morning was one of those tough mornings.  After my alarm went off, I spent ten minutes lying in bed, just not feeling like running.   But I rolled out of bed, got dressed while sitting groggily on my bedroom floor, and stumbled to the bathroom to brush my teeth and put in my contacts.   I played games in my mind – telling myself I could run slowly (or walk) today if I needed to.  I made my way to the door and stepped out into the fresh air.  I started my watch and took the first step.  And then the next, and the next.  And it turned out to be a great run.  In fact, often my best running happens on the days when I don't feel like it.  You never know what you can accomplish unless you’re willing to take the first step. 



~REBECCA


No comments:

Post a Comment