Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Back to School

It's almost back-to-school time.  I can feel myself getting excited, just as I did every year at this time of year when I was in school.  When August comes and the evenings start getting cooler and the cicadas can be heard singing their song in the trees, I am catapulted back to my youth when back-to-school time meant another year of new adventures in learning.  I couldn't wait to purchase my new school supplies and organize my notebooks.  I couldn't wait to get a new outfit for the first day of school and to find out who my teacher would be and what other children would be in my class.  I can't think of another time, other than Christmas of course, that brought me such joy as a child.  And even as an adult, when I am no longer a student in that back-to-school world, this time of year has me giddy with anticipation.  I am excited for my children (more excited than they are) as they embark on their new school year full of learning adventures.

Even though I am not enrolled in a formal school program right now, I still like to take advantage of organized learning opportunities that help me grow both spiritually and intellectually.  Right now I am participating in the Financial Peace University (FPU) course at Unity. This 9-week course, complete with video lectures, workbook exercises, and homework assignments (all things I love about school!) is designed to give participants some solid, down-to-earth information about managing their money.  I am enjoying the structured learning atmosphere, but more importantly I am gaining some valuable life skills about budgeting, saving and investing that are already beginning to improve my financial health significantly.  I have always said that this is the lifetime in which I am going to finally learn to master money.  Financial Peace University is just what I have been searching for.

Someday soon I would like to get back into a formal education program.  I have been thinking about pursuing a master's degree in Public Administration, which would enhance my work in the nonprofit world I care so deeply about.  For now, I'm content to live vicariously through my children during this magical time of year.  Who knows, maybe I'll make a tradition of buying myself some new office supplies and getting a new outfit at the beginning of September, just for old time's sake.  I hope that I will always feel connected to the joy and excitement of back-to-school time.

~REBECCA

No comments:

Post a Comment