Monday, October 24, 2016

Teachable Moments


Recently I received an important reminder from my oldest child.  I was in the middle of a negative rant about the things that were currently “broken” in my life – my broken laptop, my broken car, my broken house.  I was laughing as I spouted on, but I was completely unaware of the impact my words were having on my teenage children, who were riding in the car with me at the time.  At the end of a particularly toxic sentence, my oldest child (17 years old) said, “Mom!  Be impeccable with your word.”  His advice snapped me out of my runaway train of thought.  

“Thank you, Avery,” I said.  “Can you remind me of what that means?”  I knew he would have a wise answer because he is studying The Four Agreements in his Y.O.U. class at Unity.  

“It means you should only use your words for good.”  He went on to say that he has noticed I have been a bit less positive in the last year or so (whoa).  And that was all he had to share.  

I thanked him for giving me such a valuable piece of advice, and the conversation was over, but his words have really stuck with me.  When I find myself slipping into a negative frame of mind and being tempted to allow my mouth to follow suit, I think of Avery.  

I am so thankful that my children are as well-versed in the Unity principles as I am.  Not only because it makes them excellent at at holding me accountable, but especially because their Unity upbringing puts them well on the path to living empowered, fulfilling lives of their own – despite any negativity that life (or their knucklehead mother) might throw their way.  

~Rebecca 

No comments:

Post a Comment