Thursday, February 23, 2017

Belly Breathing

I just completed a five week study which Rebecca facilitated of Thich Nhat Hanh's book Fear. Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm. It was terrific and I recommend reading the book.

Here are two "practices" that have
been very helpful for me. You all may already know about deep breathing to calm yourself. I did too. TNH has a section on what he calls Belly Breathing. As you know, I've been dealing with fear lately. I've found belly breathing more successful than I ever expected at calming my fears - whether I'm in traffic, waiting in line or at odds with a dear friend.

The other internal message I have found extremely helpful from the book is this acknowledgement: I am fine right now. No matter what's happened in the past or what might happen in the future, I'm fine right now. And I also know that I will be fine no matter what.

As you probably can guess, there are quite a few more practices in this wonderful little book on Fear. But I wanted to share these two because they worked immediately for me.

So the next time you're stressed, give yourself 10-20 minutes, belly breathe and know "you are fine right now."

~ JEAN

No comments:

Post a Comment