Thursday, August 9, 2018

Doing What is Mine to Do Today

Yesterday's Daily Word was Energized. The affirmation was: I am energized by the power of zeal within me.

I know Zeal is one of our 12 powers. I find myself somewhat uncomfortable with zeal. I see zeal and think zealous and zealot which have some negative connotations. So I "Googled" their definitions.

Zeal is "great energy or enthusiasm in pursuit of a cause or an objective, often extreme or fanatical in nature." A zealot is "a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political or other ideals. One who tries to make other people have them too." There are more positive synonyms like fervent, ardent and committed which don't bother me so much.

When I read the affirmation yesterday, my first reaction was nope, not for me today. We in New Jersey are experiencing extremely hot and humid days (90+ for both) - it's been four or maybe five days in a row. I feel like a limp rag all the time unless I'm at home sitting in front of our window air conditioner. Ahhhh! Cool!

Then I remembered the quote from Charles Fillmore:  
“I fairly sizzle with zeal and enthusiasm and spring forth with a mighty faith to do the things that ought to be done by me!”
Almost immediately, I re-thought my reaction. This is one of my powers and I need to exercise it at least as well as I can today. I had several errands to do - I could have put them off but zeal got under my skin and off I went. Post office, shoe repairman, library, groceries. When I got home, I was hot and sticky ... but I had a bunch of items to cross off my to-do list. That felt great!

If you are like me, you may be struggling with productivity during these hot days. Here is some of the meditation from yesterday:
"Zeal is an awesome power! As I attune myself to this divine power, I discover new energy to do whatever is mine to do, whether I am completing a project or caring for my family or myself."
I wish you the energy to what is yours to do while staying safe in the heat and humidity of the summer.

~ JEAN

No comments:

Post a Comment