Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Easier Said Than Done

I was feeling peaceful and full of love last Saturday  – in a good mood – when I read that day’s Daily Word entry. The word for June 7, 2014:

Restore

The affirmation:
Quiet moments of contemplation restore my soul.

An excerpt: “As I read Daily Word, I enter into a time of contemplation….This sacred time is like a peaceful valley nestled between rugged mountain peaks… For these few moments, I set aside the demands of the day.”

The Bible quote was from the 23rd Psalm, verses 2-3: “He leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.”

One of my friends is going through a difficult time right now. I took a picture of the page and emailed it to her – telling her I was thinking of her. The image of being in a peaceful valley between mountains of troubles seemed to fit.

That felt good - then later that same day I was the target of someone’s bad mood – a yelling, impatient bad mood. I listened and tried to remain calm. I tried to tell myself “this isn’t about me” (wonderful Unity teaching). I “got out of Dodge” so to speak. When a second episode occurred, once again I listened and tried to remain calm. But I was upset. My peaceful mood was gone.

I’m reading Pema Chodron’s book Taking the Leap. I just finished Chapter 6 which is about pausing, meditation and being with the feelings I experience. Lean into the feelings, acknowledge what I feel no matter how uncomfortable. If I learn to do that, more and more, the feelings will lose their power over me. Funny how many times I get to practice my spiritual principles.

On that Saturday I breathed deeply and started to ask myself some questions: Is this about me? Did I do something to invite this behavior? What in this must I pay attention to? Did I have to be yelled at to really hear? Why-ever would I put up with this from a friend or stranger? I felt hurt and resentment and separate and even helpless.

I wanted instant peace; that didn't happen. I did have a moment of clarity about bad moods. They happen to everyone - yep, even me. 

In retrospect, it seems like my soul was slow to restore. But no - I think I experienced exactly what was supposed to happen and it took exactly as long as necessary for me to feel peaceful again. Only while writing this did I realize I hadn't done the forgiveness work I needed to do - directed inward and outward. And I forgot totally to ask Holy Spirit for help.

Thinking back to the daily word, it’s easier said than done to restore peace after bad moods and during difficult times. I wonder what my friend thinks. We'll have a great conversation about this.

And maybe some of our Stepping Stones Journal readers have some thoughts on this too...

~ JEAN

No comments:

Post a Comment