Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Entering Kid's World for a Day

Nervousness, anxiety and excitement – yep, I was feeling all of that last week. Why? Because Sunday (June 15) was my day to volunteer in Kid’s World; the first Sunday of our Summer Youth Program. I was prepared: I had my project picked out and my supplies in hand. I wrote a short “order of service” for the morning and then prayed “all is well and all will be well.”

On Sunday morning I arrived at Unity early to set up the room. Would anyone come? I’m happy to say that there were five children, all girls, ages 6, 9-1/2, 10 and two who are 13. The first two children to arrive knew exactly what to do. They pulled out the Sacred Opening Circle table into the middle of our small circle. I needn’t have worried about an order of service: Unity’s Youth and Family Ministry already had the opening of the day well planned. We began with check-in, followed by set-up. The bells are rung and the group gathered for our opening prayer: The Prayer of Faith, published in Wee Wisdom magazine by Myrtle Fillmore in August of 1898. The 6 year old led us in the prayer:

God is my help in every need;
God does my every hunger feed;
God walks beside me, guides my way
Through every moment of the day.

I now am wise, I now am true,
Patient, kind and loving too.
All things I am, can do and be,
Through Christ, the Truth that is in me.

God is my health, I can’t be sick;
God is my strength, unfailing, quick;
God is my all, I know no fear,
Since God and Love and Truth are here.

The 10-year-old read the Daily Word (Father's Blessing) and Affirmation. The love offering was taken and blessed by us all and the opening circle table was replaced so we could do our activity. The activity was to draw a calendar page for any of our special days – all of us made a birthday page and then a few other special date pages using markers, pens and stickers. During the activity we chatted about the end of school and what each of the girls was doing this summer. ome of their special interests: gymnastics, dance, martial arts and trombone. Then we cleaned up and rejoined the entire Unity family for the closing circle.

I felt a sense of relief. All had gone well – it wasn't too long and more importantly, not too short. I was glad to volunteer; especially when our Unikids teacher Janet Perini expressed her joy that she was able that day to stay in the entire service. I also have even more appreciation for our Youth and Family Ministry Teachers – our wonderful volunteer spiritual facilitators/sponsors who, week in and week out during the school year, accompany our children as they grow in the understanding and practice of our wonderful Unity principles.

~ JEAN

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to add a postscript: I've had an unexpected and very pleasant result of being with these children for a special time together. We got to know each other and now when we see each other after Sunday service we interact in a friendly, relaxed way. That is a great fringe benefit of volunteering in Kid's World for a day in the summer.

    ReplyDelete