Saturday, October 18, 2014

In an Instant ... or Slowly Over Time

Yesterday's Daily Word was "My Dream." Part of it reads: "When I reflect on what I want to do, who I want to be, and where I want to go, my heart's desire is revealed. It may unfold in an instant or slowly over time."

Here is a short nature story.

Last winter's harsh weather killed a lot of plants and trees including our juniper bush. My husband has been removing the brush and roots from that plant over the last month or so.

I told him my objective for that space, when
empty and open, was to plant a bunch of spring flowering bulbs. He bought two bags of daffodil bulbs for me on one of his trips to Lowe's. On another trip to Lowe's, together, we bought three more bags of bulbs, some topsoil and grass seed for that area.

A week ago he finished leveling the soil and together we started digging. Groups of eight or ten plants look best together. In relatively short order, we had planted all 187 bulbs in 5-6 inch deep holes. Then he spread and raked in the grass seed. The above picture is what it looked like.

In the last seven days we have had rain, sun, rain again and sun again. And it seems like, in an instant, grass has begun to grow - an inch or more in some areas.


The bright green (foreground) is the new grass, the dark green (background) is the established grass.
The bulbs will, of course, show up much more slowly - in the spring.

I am open to knowing both in an instant and slowly over time what is mine to do.

~ JEAN

No comments:

Post a Comment