Thursday, October 2, 2014

Those Words

“I hate you!” – I said this to a friend after losing a card game recently – in jest but said out loud nevertheless.

“I hate him!” – I've said this about an athlete playing against “my” team. I've also said this about a politician with whom I disagree.

What I know about this is:
  1. I don’t like hearing myself thinking this phrase – much less saying it out loud.
  2. I don’t want a friend or acquaintance to have those words in my voice in their memory.
  3. What I think and say matters (The Law of Mind Action).
  4. I don’t want to hear someone say something hurtful to me that I will remember either.

I woke up the morning after the card game asking myself incredulously: Did I actually say those words to her? I was sad to say that I had. I apologized to my card-playing friend later that day. She said, “Hey, that was in the “heat” of the card game. There’s no need for forgiveness. I love you.” I love her for that … and … I will be paying closer attention to the words coming out of my mouth.

~ JEAN

No comments:

Post a Comment