Monday, March 16, 2015

Simplifying Space

How is your Lenten practice going?  I think mine is going okay.  I’ve been faithfully completing the daily readings in Charles Fillmore’s Keep a True Lent and Unity’s 2015 Lenten booklet, and I’ve really been focusing on simplifying – simplifying my space, simplifying my schedule, simplifying my “to do” list,  simplifying my thoughts – making room, as much as possible, for silence, prayer, and an experience of the Divine.

With regard to my adopting the Lenten practices in Simplifying the Soul, I’m finding myself really drawn to the idea of simplifying my physical space, almost so much so that I’m not even interested in looking at the chapters or the suggestions that follow.  In fact, I think that it would be a good idea for me to make this year’s experiment (from March 1 to March 1) about simplifying my space – reducing clutter, getting clear about what possessions I really need, taking good care of what I have, and adopting a more minimalistic approach to life.

I was beginning to fall into a thought pattern that would have led me to believe that I should work more hours, make more money, buy more things, go more places – you know, claim my stake in the American Dream.  This Lenten season couldn’t have come at a better time!  Thankfully, I also recently stumbled across a documentary called "I Am," and it somehow brought me back to myself and gave me some clarity about what I really want from life.  The past few weeks, I’ve been seeking out information about green living, voluntary simplicity, minimalism, etc.   I’m almost finished thoroughly cleaning out one room in my house, and after that I’ll go on to the other rooms of the house and take a look at what should stay and what should go.  I think that will be this year’s project.

When it comes to spirituality, I’m aware that I need to surround myself constantly with people, books, music, movies, etc, that support what I’m trying to become.  I am energized by always having something new to study, learn, and practice.  This helps me to stay engaged in what I’m trying to accomplish.  I realize that it’s the same way for me with my material life.  The mainstream culture pushes me to strive for more, more, more – money, status, beauty, fame – and every once in a while, I start to get caught up in that current.   This year, I want to be sure to surround myself with information that supports what I think is important and allows me to make my own choices about what I buy, what I wear, where I go, etc.  

So that’s where I am with my Lenten practice.

~REBECCA


No comments:

Post a Comment