Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Back to Basics (Again)

Thank goodness Lent is a time for simplifying because I haven’t had the energy to do anything complicated for the last couple weeks!  I’ve been feeling kind of lousy physically – I think because of digestive issues related to celiac disease.  And when I feel lousy physically, it’s hard for me to stay centered and motivated to keep growing spiritually.

This is another one of those times when it helps me to go back to basics.   

For me, going back to basics means letting go of my need to do it all and do it all perfectly and do it all right now.  I could easily spend 24 hours a day rushing around making sure that everything in my world is “just so.”  And, trust me, there are many weeks when this is my modus operandi.  When I’m in back-to-basics mode, my goal is to eliminate all that is unnecessary and turn my focus only to essential tasks so that I leave plenty of time for rest and healing and introspection.

I’ve noticed that when I’m not feeling well physically, it takes a toll on my mental and emotional health, as well.  I tend to worry A LOT more.  I tend to feel less optimistic and less connected to God and to my Divine self.   When I’ve been feeling ill, it takes extra effort to remember my spiritual Truth.  

So I’m in the process of re-committing to the essentials (again):
  • ·         Sleep
  • ·         Hydration
  • ·         Nutrition
  • ·         Meditation/prayer
  • ·         Affirmations
And I’m trying to balance those essentials with my somewhat important household tasks:  laundry, dishes, meal-planning, cleaning, paperwork/bills, family time. 

Life is a juggling act.  Or at least mine is.  Or at least mine is right now.  I don’t know.  All I know is that there are going to be ups and downs.  Sometimes I’ll feel like I’m making progress, and sometimes I’ll need to go back to basics.  And – let’s be honest – back to basics isn’t a terrible place to be.  

I was prepared to simplify during this Lenten season, but maybe I was simplifying in my old, complicated way.   My body has decided to take control of the situation and force me to REALLY simplify.   Maybe from now on, I should establish permanent residence in Back-to-Basics-Land and only vacation in Complicated-Chaos-World, rather than the other way around. That’s a novel idea.

This is where I am in my Lenten practice.

~REBECCA

 


No comments:

Post a Comment