Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Power of Strength

February's Power (or ability) is Strength. I know it's actually March but I don't want to leave Strength before I share a recent realization.

A loved one going through some health issues told me a month or so ago that she was worried about me so she didn't want to confide in me. I protested that I am calm and supportive and please, please, please do not try to protect me.

Strength is about perseverance, persistence and staying the course. My persistence story begins last fall when my back started to hurt all the time. My regular stretches and exercises didn't relieve it. I've had back pain in the past but it didn't last like this was. What in the world was going on? I was going to figure it out without drama or panic.

I looked at my habits:
I began crocheting again so I was sitting a lot at one time in one place - in my favorite, big overstuffed easy chair I've had for over 20 years. It was not surprising, then, to realize that the seat cushion had lost it's shape. It needed to be refilled. Anyone know an upholsterer?
I traveled three weeks out of six in October and November so I stopped going to my exercise class for almost two months. The traveling also limited how much walking I did. I missed walking - walking is good for my back - but I just didn't seem to have the time.
Then I noticed that our mattress was sagging in the two spots we slept. Waking up with back pain meant the mattress wasn't giving me the support I needed.
My prescription orthotics were stashed in a drawer in my bedroom. I hadn't had foot pain for a long time so I thought I didn't need them any more. I retrieved those orthotics and began to use them again, switching them from pair to pair. After all, the feet are connected to the legs which are connected to the hips which are connected to the back.
I began walking again, watching my posture, no matter how cold it was outside. As soon as my travels ended, I returned to exercise class. Our new mattress was delivered in December. The upholsterer I found did a fantastic job - I picked up my "like new" seat cushion in January. I continued crocheting, creating my own patterns and ended up this winter finishing three prayer shawls.
And so it went - I persisted in looking at every aspect of my behavior regarding my back and tackled each area, step by step, no panic and no drama. It took several months ... but I kept my focus on my intention to be pain free and then I was pain free. I am pain free.

I love my strength. And just recently I realized that when I love someone I am stronger, not weaker. My love for them makes me stronger. So my loved ones need not worry about protecting me. I can stay the course with them for as long as necessary with all the strength I need (thank you, God!). I am there for them.

~ JEAN


No comments:

Post a Comment