Thursday, April 16, 2015

Wait for the Lord

I've been writing about clearing time and space in my schedule. It made me wonder - when did I get so busy? Here’s how I think it happened: I said one "yes" at a time. As my commitments accumulated, I started to group commitments, filling days with my “to do” obligations.

I planned and looked forward to having one day each week on the calendar with nothing written on it. If anyone, including someone I love, suggested we do something on that day, I would resent it. I had purposely kept that day clear so I didn't have to do anything on that day with anyone. I complained that I was too busy and yet I was the one scheduling my own busyness.

I got to thinking - did I fear a totally free day? Was I worried – wondering what would I do all day? Spend it playing a game on my phone - which I can do for hours? What a colossal waste of time!

Emilie Cady wrote in Lessons in Truth about this: “Every man must take time daily for quiet and meditation. You may be so busy with the doing … that you find no time to go apart. Watch carefully, and you will find that there are some things, even in the active unselfish doing, that would better be left undone than that you should neglect regular meditation….gather yourself together and do not waste a moment idly diffusing and dissipating yourself…”

So I got that I needed to clear time and space. What I didn't know was what I was clearing time and space for - though I knew it wasn’t for playing games! I was trusting that Spirit would let me know at the right time.

The Bible says: Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! Psalm 27:14

Then I got the wisdom from Holy Spirit: I am clearing time and space in my life, not to refill it but to allow time and space to pray and meditate, to write, to hike and bike for my health and to spend time with my loved ones. And I will also get the wisdom to know how to balance my time among all these activities that I compromised for other less meaningful pursuits.

How great is it that three powers – faith (trust), strength (courage) and wisdom – came together in my life at this moment.


~ JEAN

No comments:

Post a Comment