Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Goodness in my World

Tuesday's Daily Word was Love. Part of the meditation was:
"As I focus on gestures of kindness, my awareness of the goodness in life grows. My life is transformed by Love."
This is my kindness story.

Tuesday my dog Belleville had a lump removed from his left front leg. During our consultation when I picked Belle up, the vet surgeon told me that he had what he hoped was good news. The tumor came out cleanly and easily; it had not attached to any of his muscle. (I'm waiting for the results of the biopsy and hoping that the tumor was harmless.)

When the vet staff brought my doggie out for me to take home, he was limping and his leg was very swollen - more than they expected. They checked to be sure he wasn't bleeding in the wound - it did not appear he was. So they gave me antibiotics as well as pain medicine to take home. The vet suggested that I, if Belle would allow me, put ice on the swelling to see if that would calm the area.

Before I left the office the vet put my cell phone number on his cell phone so he could call me in a couple hours to see if Belle was better, the same or worse. If worse, he would meet me back at the clinic to decide what to do.

Belleville and I seem to have an especially close bond. After we got home around 6:30 PM, he let me put a little shirt on him so he wouldn't scratch or bother his incision and he let me ice his shoulder carefully a couple times.

Coincidentally, Tuesday was my stepson's birthday. We were invited to his house for fajitas at 7 PM. The vet was going to call around 8; I wanted to be with Belleville to see how he was doing so I sent my husband to the birthday dinner.

About 20 minutes later, my husband walked back in with some food. He said "Your daughter-in-law says if you can't come, we'll bring dinner to you." Wow!! How great was that. So they brought all the fixings for fajitas and an ice cream cake over to our house so we could celebrate together.

During dinner, the vet called and I was happy to report that Belleville was the same and seemed to just be wanting to sleep. He replied, "Well you have my cell number now. I will have my phone by my bed - if you need anything call." Wow again!!

These two gestures of kindness showed me vividly the goodness in my world. Experiencing this goodness makes me want to be good whenever I get a chance - to pass it along. And I am grateful.

~ JEAN

No comments:

Post a Comment