Sunday, August 2, 2015

Permission to Be Ordinary


Here’s something I’m considering:  what do I have to do to earn God’s love?  I have spent countless hours, days, weeks, years of my life believing and behaving as if there are things I need to do to earn love – from my parents, from my friends, from the world and, I’m realizing, by extension, from God.  Somewhere in my mind, I created an image of the perfect me – one that would be worthy of being loved – and I’ve been chasing that image for my entire life.  I’ve set impossible standards for myself, and since I always seem to fall short of the perfect me I’ve dreamed up, I’ve never really felt like I deserved to be loved and cared for.

I’m still reading Break Out! by Joel Osteen, and there is a chapter in the book entitled “Be Confident in What You Have.”  In this chapter, the author suggests that we stop focusing on what we think we lack – talent, education, personality, whatever – and start focusing on what God has given us as we move forward in the direction of our dreams.  He goes on to say that we don’t have to be extraordinary to experience the fullness God’s love:

“God is not looking for super talented people.  He is looking for ordinary people who will take the limits off Him so He can show His goodness in extraordinary ways. “

“If you’ll be the best you can be right where you are, living with confidence, believing that God is breathing in your direction, then God will do for you what He did for the hungry crowd (in the loaves and fishes story).  He will take the little and He will turn it into much.”

This is an earth-shattering concept for me.  To believe that it’s okay for me to be ordinary - as I am?  To trust that I am enough even if I haven’t achieved the elusive ideals I’ve established for myself?  To allow myself to be loved despite all of my imperfections?    The very idea brings such a sense of relief that it makes me feel weak in the knees.  I’m still trying to digest it. 

Thank you, Joel Osteen, for offering this teaching to me in a language I can understand.  

~REBECCA

No comments:

Post a Comment