Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Seriously, Lighten Up!

I've been out of sync with recent Daily Words like

Joy
Radiant
Expression
Celebration

I haven't been feeling those feelings lately. My days are freed up from the busyness in my life - and that's what I wanted. I wake up in the morning with free time and I intend to make this day count one way or another. At the end of the day, I reflect back on the day. What did I do today that made it count?

Some days it's easy to list a few things:

One day I sewed pillowcases for our two dog beds - the blue denim material and the spool of thread had been sitting upstairs in my sitting room/meditation room for over a year. Then I rode the stationary bike for 30 minutes with two bars of resistance. I began an essay on one of my dad's World War II letters. I read a novel for awhile. I studied July's power of Understanding (I'm a month behind). I played a few of my games on my phone. I had a glass of wine with my husband. We watched some soccer on tv. This was my idea of a good balanced day.

Another day I went to the grocery store for staples like paper towels, cat food, napkins, garbage bags. I rode the stationary bike for 25 minutes (it was hot and boring but I did it anyway). And I continued working on the essay.

Other days I don't feel like I've done anything to make it count. So when the Daily Word last Tuesday was celebration, I couldn't do it. Then I realized I've been putting pressure on myself to make every day count.

The next morning (Wednesday) I woke up with this message from Holy Spirit: Lighten up. Don't take life so seriously - enjoy each moment I'm alive and well. As I left our house to walk our two dogs, I felt the cool breeze and the warm sun on my face; I took a deep breath, threw back my shoulders and felt taller and, yes, lighter.


Looking across our lawn, I saw our sunflowers with their faces turned toward the sun. Goldfinches were perching on the spent flowers to eat their seeds. What on earth else is there to feel but joy at their sight, to celebrate nature in my life, and to express God's radiance through me?? I just need a reminder now and then.

My intention going forward is to be excited to find out how I will make this day count. That turn-around feels so positive.

~ JEAN

No comments:

Post a Comment