Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Hustle & Bustle Gives Way to Quiet

I've been missing my dad particularly strongly this month. So ... my holiday spirit has been missing too. There are a few decorations up in my life: I brought in poinsettias for the Unity office and we have a wreath on our door at home. We bought our home Christmas tree on Sunday but didn't bring it inside the house until this morning.

The reading by Rev. Mark Fuss in the Advent Booklet yesterday touched me gently. His reading begins with how the hustle and bustle around Christmas gives way to the new year and it's hard to even "process what had happened."

Then he writes:
"These days the memories I treasure most arise during the quiet moments of Christmas. The early mornings are my favorite time. I turn on the glittering tree in the darkness just before dawn and sit in the quiet with a cup of coffee, letting the memories roll over me... Even the memories of loved ones who have passed become a sweet sadness in the stillness. A warm heartache and a gentle tear drop, as grief's grip has lessened and allowed the remembering to flow. Faith, family and feelings, quiet treasures all."
 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21

For me, sitting in our darkened living room with just the Christmas tree lights on in the evening is my time for quiet. This year I will appreciate that time in a more mindful way.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. And I especially wish for you some quiet times in the days ahead.

~ JEAN

No comments:

Post a Comment