Wednesday, December 9, 2015

My Home Office

Studying the 12 powers or abilities this year has been a wonderful, learning exercise. Currently I'm working on Will (August) and Order (September). I read Charles Fillmore's chapters on each power and then I read the pertinent chapters in PowerUP. The Twelve Powers Revisited as Accelerated Abilities by Paul Hasselbeck and Cher Holton. In PowerUP, each chapter ends with a couple activities.

I do well with these two abilities, if I say so myself. That being said ...

Activity One for Order is to choose a specific area in my home - actually the book says "Think about the messiest place in your house." And then "Schedule a block of time, and put it in order. Create a space that is balanced, orderly, neat and efficient for what you need."

I chose three places: my spare bedroom, my sitting room and my office. The first two were easy. I now see a clear bed that had been piled with clothes, paperwork and other items. In just an hour, I had put away the clothes, moved my summer clothes into the attic and brought down my winter clothes, filed the paperwork. I looked around that room, took a deep breath and was satisfied.

My sitting room had become a depository for items that needed to be moved to the attic; the vacuum cleaner, cord winding around the floor, was just sitting there instead of being brought back downstairs where it belonged. In a few minutes I took the tubs into the attic, brought the vacuum cleaner back downstairs, took a deep breath and was satisfied.

My office was a whole different story. I can't remember how many months (years) I've hated the lamps in my office - utilitarian, clamp-on lamps that don't stand up any more. My husband and I had gone twice to two different places to find lamps. No luck or way too expensive.

I've even piled papers on my chair - so I can't  sit down!
My magnet board is at top right.
The new lamps are great!
I could no longer even see my desk. Piles everywhere except where my computer keyboard is - piles upon piles of paper to file and organize, papers to decide if I even need or want them anymore. I had gotten to the point that whenever I walked in that room to drop something off, I'd mentally say - I'm not coming in here right now. I didn't even want to balance my checkbook here much less write for pleasure.

I have a magnet board in my office. On it is a thought of the day from March 23, 1998. It says:

My office is filled with the vibration of love and productivity.
Working here is a joy and a deep pleasure.

That certainly did not apply. I had completely lost touch with that thought - even though it has clearly been my intention since March of 1998.

Activity One got me going. I renewed my efforts to find lamps. My husband and I went to Home Depot and found just the two lamps I wanted and they were affordable too. We brought them home and put them together. A great fringe benefit, the old lamps I hated, my stepson needed for his office. Perfect in every way.

The first thing I did was dust my entire desk, moving all the piles aside to reach the desk. When I finished dusting I was finished for the day. But I was on my way to bringing my office up to a place I wanted to spend time in again.

Between my will and my order abilities, I am committed to continue to clear up my office. Each day I go in there and tackle a pile - organize bills and file them. Update my health records and file them. Check my "to do" lists to see if I need them any more. I've done everything on the list, I just need to recycle the paper.

Although I still can't see much of my desk, I can see some of it. And I remain committed to sticking to this project. Pretty soon, I will be using my office not only to balance my checkbook but also to start some of the writing projects I have up my sleeve. I take a deep breath and I am satisfied.

~ JEAN


No comments:

Post a Comment