Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Winning is not what God is about

In 2002 when I got married, I married not just the man but also his sport: soccer or, what the rest of the world says, football/fĂștbol. That was great for me. I love sports. At the time I didn’t know much about soccer. Now almost 12 years later I’m as likely to commentate on matches and critique coaching moves as he is. We follow professional soccer matches in the U.S., England, Spain and sometimes other countries. All three of our grandchildren play soccer so we also attend some of their matches. One could call us avid soccer fans.

The highlight of this summer of 2014 for soccer fans all over the world is the Men’s World Cup going on from June 12 through July 13 in various cities of Brazil. On Monday when I wrote the first draft of this post, the U.S. team was scheduled to play their next game against the Belgian team on Tuesday afternoon. It’s my team, I want them to win. I would say I passionately want them to win. 

After a goal, some players raise their arms
towards heaven as if to give thanks.
What do I love about sports? I love to watch talented people using their skills in a game with rules. It is simple. It is often beautiful. (Soccer is sometimes called "the beautiful game.") All the human emotions and behavior are present within a controlled atmosphere. Players show love for their team mates and good sportsmanship toward their opponents. Players cry when they lose and also when they win. Fouls, bad-mouthing, whining and complaining are all there too.

As soccer players walk onto the field for the National Anthems, some bend down to touch the field and then cross themselves. After a goal, some players raise their arms towards heaven as if to give thanks. Players gather before a game begins, sometimes to pray. It is not unusual in an after-match interview for the player for the winning team to thank God (and sometimes their parents).

Which brings me to the point of this piece: Does God care about the outcome of a soccer match (or any other game or competition)? The easy answer is no. God loves each and every one of the soccer players now competing in Brazil. While I want a win, I’m so grateful that winning a soccer match or any other type of game is not what God is about.

What I know about sports: The most important thing is for athletes to be grateful for their talent, to play to the best of their ability, to put out the best effort they can, to be fair, not to cheat or lie. I also know that everything is in divine order. I also fully understand that the things I know may not resonate for some players, coaches and fans.

As H. Emilie Cady writes in Lessons in Truth: “There is today an unlimited supply of All-Good provided in the unseen for every human being. No one need have less that another may have more. Your very own awaits you. Your understanding faith or trust is the power that will bring it to you.” When I read this what came to mind was the concept of "win-win" strategy.


Now it’s Wednesday and the U.S. team did not win yesterday. I’m disappointed but not devastated. And I know God blesses those who win and those who do not in countless and unimaginably wonderful ways.

~ JEAN

No comments:

Post a Comment