Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My Work Blesses Me

Reading the Daily Word is one of my spiritual practices each day. The title of this post is the affirmation for a recent word: “Employment.”

My first thought is of my work at Unity. I love working at Unity. It’s where my heart is, where my spiritual path is progressing and where many of my friends are. It’s also where I get to write my blog posts, prepare the quarterly highlights (including giving me practice at taking pictures that fit into the highlights), fill in applications for raffle permits, brainstorm with Rebecca about what we can do for Unity and serve in any and every other way I can.

In the text, it includes: “I bless my coworkers …” I could not have a better and more compatible coworker than Rebecca. Our styles and personalities are quite different and yet we hold the high watch for each other and support each other during challenges, both at work and at home.

Our mandavilla loves this summer!
When I read: “whether my work is at home or outside the home, volunteer or paid …” my mind goes to the work I do around our house: I am the recycle queen wrapping cardboard, junk mail, magazines and newspapers and emptying the plastic and glass to the can outside. I take our dogs to the groomer, the vet and on various walks (my husband walks them too.) My husband is our cook and I make our salads. I water and care for our indoor and outdoor plants, pruning and replenishing soil, talking to and loving each of them. (By the way, my tomatoes are doing great and they are yummy.)

As a member of the Finance Committee of the Friends of the Hunterdon County Library, I just attended our first committee meeting last week. Believe it or not, I look forward to getting FOHCL onto a budget and facilitating the communication between the Friends and the Library staff regarding money allocations.

I deliver lunches on the third Monday of each month for Meals on Wheels of Hunterdon County. That involves driving almost 40 miles delivering meals to seven “recipients.” Part of my responsibility is to see and interact with each person – an “assurance check for well being.” Most of the time I just wish each person a great day. However I’ve talked soccer with one, dogs with one and plants with another.

I am retired, except for my paid work at Unity. I love all that I do – I love my busy days and I love my unbusy days just as much.

 “Whatever my calling may be, my work is a blessing to me. I appreciate and celebrate it.”

~ JEAN

No comments:

Post a Comment